Sometimes a homeschooler cannot win an argument

Many online discussions about homeschoolers online generally consists of numerous homeschoolers, or homeschooling proponents arguing against one of a small number of anti homeschoolers. These arguments can become passionate, heated, and even ugly. Recently, I found myself baited into such an online conversation. Why I thought a public school teacher wanted to argue homeschooling on the merits was beyond me. I guess we all have days when we give too much emphasis to unhealthy discussions. I will try harder to not take the bait next time. People will take examples of such conversations and use them as an excuse to … Continue reading

Building Your Homeschool Community (Part II)

In my previous post, I described the different types of homeschooling communities I belong to and expressed my desire to create a community here on families.com. Here is my proposal: Families.com has an awesome forums structure. The discount and coupon people use it heavily, and I would like for us (those interested in homeschooling) to utilize it in very much the same way. If you go to the families.com forums, and scroll down to the Parenting section you will find homeschooling tucked in there among the other topics. I strongly encourage you to participate in the families.com homeschooling forum. It … Continue reading